Residence Permits, Work Permits and Visas

If you are considering working with YWAM Amsterdam for longer than 3 months, you may require a visa or residence permit to stay in The Netherlands. Please carefully read the information below to decipher whether this applies to you and what steps you should follow.

do you require a visa or permit?

You are a national of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland:

If your country of citizenship is Switzerland, within the European Union or European Economic Area; you do not need to apply for a visa, a residence permit or work permit to stay within The Netherlands.

An official list of countries of citizenship that do not require a visa or residence permit may be found here.

You have a nationality from one of the following countries:

Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States of America or Vatican City.

You are required to obtain a residence permit and a work permit. You do not need a visa.

Your nationality is not listed in the earlier categories:

You need a residence permit, a work permit and a MVV (Provisional Residence Permit).

After you pass the exam YWAM Amsterdam will submit an application for both a MVV and a residence permit at the same time.

what are the different types of permits and visas?


A residence permit is required for you to stay in The Netherlands. YWAM Amsterdam will apply for the Residence Permit before you enter the Netherlands. Please start your application as early as possible as these processes can sometimes be quite lengthy.


A work permit (TWV) is required to work with any organisation in the Netherlands. To apply for a work permit you need to have a monthly support of €1,150. If you don’t have that amount monthly we can’t start applying for a work permit for you.


The MVV is a special visa that you must have in order to enter the Netherlands.

To be eligible for an MVV you will be required to pass an examination first. The Civic Integration Examination Abroad tests the basic knowledge of Dutch language and society and a reading and comprehension skills test. The knowledge is assessed by taking an exam at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in the country of origin or the country of continuous residence. A country of continuous residence is a country where you are lawfully allowed to stay for more than 3 months. The costs for the exam are 150,- euro’s and the practice material will cost approximately 25,- euro’s.

Information about the Civic integration examination abroad can be found here.


You only need to pay the fees for the residence permit. The costs for the residence permit is €881 and must be paid upon submitting the application form. You pay the Dutch immigration services for the handling of the application, not for the permit itself. The fees will not be refunded if your application is refused.

The residence permit can be extended every 3 years, this will cost €389.


Don't feel overwhelmed! YWAM Amsterdam’s personnel team is here to help you! If you aren't in contact with us already, please feel free to write us here.

We believe every new staff member is a gift from God and we want to encourage you to put your trust in His provision and guidance in this process.